Who doesn’t love Hyerabadi dum biryani? Be it mutton or chicken, it always makes you drool and mouth water!
I have made biryani with simplified steps as taught by my mother who is born and raised in Hyderabad, India. Its authentic and very delicious recipe and easy to make.
In the recipe I will explain the marination, rice cooking steps and lastly the dum process.
Let’s jump to the recipe:
For chicken marination:
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Curd – 1 cup
- Coriander seeds powder – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Mint leaves – 1 cup
- Green chilies – 8 to 9
- Onion – 1 pc
- Fried onion – 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 Tbsp
- Shahi zeera – 1/4 ysp
- Zeera – 1/2 tsp
- Black Cardamom – 1 pc
- Cardamom – 3 pc
- Cinnamon – 1 meduim stick
- Cloves – 5 to 7
- Black pepper seeds – 7 to 8
- Seasoned oil ** – 4 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Basmati rice – 1 kg
- Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Beleaves – 1 pc
- Star anise – 1/2 pc
- Green chili – 1 pc
- Kewra essence – 2 to 3 drops
- Salt double required
- 7 cups of water
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup
- Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Fried onion – 1 cup
- Red orange food color – 1/2 Tsp mixed in water
- Seasoned oil** – 5 Tbsp
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Water as much needed to make dough.
- Potato – 1 (medium)
How to make the recipe:
- Take a bowl and add chicken.
- One by one add curd, Coriander seeds powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste.
- Add green chilies Coriander leaves, Mint leaves and onion chunky mixture paste
- Crush the fried onion with hand and add to the bowl.
- Add all the dry spices shahi zeera, cumin, black cardamom, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper seeds to the bowl.
- Lastly Seasoned oil ** (onion fried oil) & salt according to taste.
- Mix all the ingredients and set aside in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Take the cooking vessel and add 7 glass of water and switch on the stove on high flame.
- Add double the salt you will need, 3 drops of kewra essence, cumin, star anise, green chili and beleaf and let the water come to the boiling point.
- As the water starts to boil, add rice and let it cook for only 2 mins. Take out 30% of the rice and keep it aside. This rice is barley cooked and it will go directly over the chicken for dum, by this step it will be ensured that the rice will not be overcooked.
- Let the rest of the rice cook for 3-4 mins more. By this the it will be half cooked. Rest of the cooking will be in dum.
Biryani Dum process:
- Take the cooking vessel and add the thick sliced potato pieces in the center.
- Add the marinated chicken.
- Add the layer of barely cooked rice and spread it equally. Sprinkle dices coriander & mint leaves. And fried onion all over the rice.
- Add the second layer of rice and garnish it with coriander and mint leaves. Add fried onion and color water.
- After that knead the wheat dough and stick it on the edge of the lid and close the birayni vessel so that no steam exits the vessel.
- Cook the biryani for 40 mins on medium flame.
- Serve hot.
Video of making the biryani:
- **Use oil in which you fried onion as seasoned oil.
- Use grinned coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya) not ready-made coriander powder for better taste.
- If you are beginner, there can be a chance to burn the center of the biryani where the fire directly touches the vessel. Its a cleaver step not to burn the chicken and potato also quiet delicious blended with masala.
- Do not over-cook the rice, check it so that it doesn’t loose the texture.
- Don’t over use kewra essence, it can spoil the dish.
- If you don’t want to use food color, you can use saffron mixed with milk.
You might like:
I hope You enjoy making and eating this delicacy and relish the authentic taste.
Please like comment and share your experience with making this recipe.