Flattened rice is rice which is flattened into flat, light, dry flakes originating from the Indian subcontinent. Rice is parboiled before flattening so that it can be consumed with very little to no cooking. These flakes of rice swell when added to liquid, whether hot or cold, as they absorb water, milk or any other liquids. The thickness of the flakes varies between almost translucently thin (the more expensive varieties) to nearly four times thinner than a normal rice grain.
This is a delicious recipe and very easy to make. Flat rice is nutritious and tasty as well. You can eat it as a snack or as a meal starter.
So, let’s start with the recipe.
- Boiled potatoes – 2
- Soaked Poha or flat rice – 1 bowl
- Chili powder – 1 TSP
- Haldi powder – 1/2 TSP
- Pepper powder – 1/2 TSP
- Kasuri methi – 1/2 TSP
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 TSP
- Zeera powder – 1/2 TSP
- chat masala powder – 1/2 TSP
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 TSP
- Salt to taste
- Corn flour – 2 TBSP
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
How to make the cutlets:
- Boil 2 medium size potatoes, peel and mash them with few lumps.
- Take 1 bowl of poha and soak them in water and then drain it. Make sure its the poha is not wet or else the cutlets wont stay in shape.
- In a mixing bowl, Boiled potatoes, Soaked Poha or flat rice Chili powder, Haldi powder, Pepper powder, Kasuri methi, Garam masala powder, Zeera powder, chat masala powder Ginger garlic paste and Salt.
- Mix it well. Make sure the mixture is not soggy.
- Take small portions and start making patties.
- Next, take corn flour and mix it with 1/2 cup of water to make a thin slurry.
- Spread the breadcrumbs in a plate.
- Dip the patties in the corn flour slurry and coat in the breadcrumbs nicely.
- Deep fry them.
- Serve the cutlets hot with chutney or tomato ketchup.
Here’s the video of the recipe:
Buy the products used from amazon:
Rate this recipe:
Hope you enjoy making this recipe. Please like, comment and share your thoughts with baking experience.
Follow me on my social media: INSTAGRAM